- This event has passed.
Webinar on Tribunals in India
July 24, 2020 at 4:00 PM - 5:15 PM
Theme: “The Legal Ecosystem of Tribunals and Regulatory Bodies in India”
The Society for Legal and Policy Research (SOLPO Research) is pleased to invite you to a round table discussion on Tribunals in India and associated challenges. Join us for a conversation with Mr. C.S. Vaidyanathan (Senior Advocate), Mr. V.P. Raja (Former Chairman, Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission) and Mr. Tathagata Satpathy (Editor, Dharitri Newspaper and Former M.P. (Lok Sabha)). Moderated by Mr. Sanjay Sen (SOLPO Research).
The session will be held online via Zoom on July 24, 2020, from 04:00 PM India.
To join us, please click the following link: Join Zoom Seminar on Tribunals
Meeting ID: 95285239421
Tribunalisation has been taking place as an effective alternative to traditional Courts in dispute resolution and justice dispensation across the world. India has been no exception to this global trend. Over the years, Indian Courts have made various observations on the deficiencies that compromise the independence, competence and functioning of Tribunals. However, the observation of the Supreme Court in L Chandra Kumar case in 1997 that “unfortunately tribunals have not achieved full independence” continues to gather dust in judicial archives. The need of the hour is to examine and address the legislative, procedural and institutional flaws that exist in the overall architecture of the Tribunal system in India so that we can honour and strengthen the independence and standards of this parallel branch of the judiciary.
The webinar will explore the following:
- What are the issues affecting institutional and functional independence of Tribunals and regulatory bodies?
- Is it desirable to have more uniformity in administration and appointment scheme across Tribunals? How should this issue be addressed?
- Whether the integration of powers in Tribunals operating in economic areas (sector regulators) is an affront to the doctrine of separation of powers?
- What are the issues associated with Tribunals that have direct statutory appeals to the Supreme Court, thereby bypassing the High Courts?
- What are the general principles to guide Tribunalisation in India?
The session will be held online via Zoom. Login Time: 4.00 PM; Webinar Start Time: 4.15 PM
To join us, please click here: Join Zoom Seminar on Tribunals